Sunday 8 December 2013

Painful Gums During Pregnancy

The first symptom I had whilst pregnant was incredibly sensitive gums!!  I found it very difficult to brush my teeth, and as the weeks went on in my first trimester, I was also having to deal with nausea and vomiting whilst trying to brush!!  You are not alone, many women seem to have the problem, all my friends didn't bat an eyelid when I told them how uncomfortable it was, but I had never heard of this and I was so worried!

Once you have told your GP you are pregnant, you can apply for free NHS prescriptions which also includes dental treatment.  Once my card came through, I went straight to the dentist and also saw a hygienist privately, as oral hygiene is so important when pregnant.

The dentist and hygienist were great, the advice they gave was to continue using an electric toothbrush and to also floss.  The more you do this, the easier you will find the discomfort on your gums.

By week 14 my gums had settles back down, it is the hormone progesterone that causes the sensitivity, and when the levels have balanced out, this seems to pass, as well as the nausea!!

I hope this helps you if you have sore gums, don't panic, seek advice and keep on brushing!!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment